Supposedly Hilton Head Island, SC is a golfer's paradise but it has never been on my bucket list. One can easily overlook this island as a resort destination for several reasons. There aren't as many flights coming in and out of HH airport. If there was, it would be a connection from SAV or CLT on a small propeller plane. It's also only about 4.5hr drive to Orlando, FL or a short flight to any island in the Caribbean. The sand is soft and clean but isn't nearly as white as FL or Caribbean beaches. If you're not a golfer and the weather is bad, you're pretty much doomed. It's dark, gloomy and depressing :)
We stayed at the Westin Hilton Head. When the sun is out, there's definitely that resort island vibe. The resort is located right on the beach facing South so you get to enjoy both sunrise and sunset. We also got to see the mini-moon with its magnificent light shining on the ocean for a couple days. It was surreal! Although the pools and the koi fish pond seemed to be well maintained, I thought their service was mediocre. If you get up early enough and walk around the immediate vicinity, you can see unfinished wine glasses and dishes laying around. Cleaning service was also subpar. I mean there's definitely a reason many bypass this spot and fly straight to the Gulf or the Caribbean instead.
The food was great but we came on a gloomy day so there wasn't much going on outside.
Great waterfront view but the menu is limited.
Jarvis Creek: Great indoor atmosphere but there's no ocean view.
1. Plan your trip around full moon if you can.
2. Great place if you're looking for a quiet getaway. There are many many mini-golf courses. Great for your littles.
3. Fly into SAV then rent a car. It's only a 45 minute drive to HH.
4. You will need a car because Uber isn't as reliable.
5. Shopping is limited. There are a couple of Tanger outlets.
6. HH isn't a buffet land but seafood in general is fresh from the ocean. I recommend Hudson's on the Dock. The restaurant is right on the water. Great menu with a lot of options. They have the best hushpuppies!